Monday, October 14, 2013

Serious Games: Gardenscapes 2

Serious Gaming in the French Classroom:

In order to engage with the online gaming world and to see what benefits it would have for the FL classroom, I created an account with BigFish which allowed for a one hour free trial. This site also allowed me to change my language to French and access a bunch of games in French. I browsed for a game that would be applicable to a High School French classroom (i.e. easy grammar and vocabulary) with a purpose such as time management. I finally found a game that sparked my interest: Gardenscapes 2.  I fooled around on this game for the whole hour and found it very relevant to the French classroom.

Language Learning Objectives:

This game presents very advanced grammar and vocabulary so I would expect to use it in a level 3 class or above. By using this game in the French classroom, students will be able to:
  • Read and respond to vocabulary pertaining to everyday household items, people, places, etc.
  •   Read and respond to communicative French (imperatives,  interrogatives, etc)
  •  Read and understand different forms of French grammar
  • Read and understand different French language tenses


Role of Teacher:

I would use this computer game as a lesson on grammar, language tense, or vocabulary and scaffold my students along the way. I would not expect my students to understand ALL of the language that is presented in the game, but instead to use it as a language tool to learn new vocabulary and grammar. Because the game only presents written language, I would like to read the dialogue out loud to the students where it is possible and walk them through the directions to ensure that they are clear.  This would allow for students to receive language input in both written and spoken forms. After reading and explain the directions in French, I would pause so that the students could attempt the level.

Role of the Student:

The Students would be actively involved in this game by following the French prompts on the screen: They must match French vocabulary with the correct picture in order to receive tokens/money for the garden. This motivation alone will inspire them to reach the correct answers.

Assessing Student Progress:


One way to assess student progress is to walk around and check the computer monitors to ensure that the students are making the right choices. Also, to check that students are meeting the language objectives, I would informally assess their understanding of the language that is used in the game by either monitoring their progress when a prompt is given, or by verbally repeating the same question or statement to see if they are able to comprehend it. 

1 comment:

  1. I like that your plan uses the game for both listening and reading practice.

    ReplyDelete